Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Root Vegetable Pakoras

It's April now, and so we have surpassed the "March root vegetable blues", but there's still not a lot of exciting greens on deck due to all the snow (and still snowing as I write this... Seriously!!).
Last night, faced with a fridge full of cabbage and root vegetables and a broken oven, I decided to jazz it up a bit-- I got some oil going on the stove and made panko-breaded sweet potato and turnip sticks, sweet potato fries, and pakoras.
The pakoras are something new I've been experimenting with lately.  They're so simple-- grate up root veggies (I used onion, parsnip, carrot, potato, turnip, sweet potato, celeriac), add desired spices (I used a great curry powder I picked up at the market a couple weeks ago) and gram flour (chickpea flour) until the mixture sticks together, form into small patties and then deep fry or pan fry until golden.  Yum!  I served mine with a tomato-apple chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment