Monday, December 29, 2014

Apple of the Week: Cortland

I decided to feature Cortlands as the apple of the week, since we've been selling so many apple chips lately made with this apple.  I was surprised to find out the parentage is part McIntosh, which actually makes sense because they often can look very similar to Mac's.  I love the squat shape of this apple, and it's slowness to brown after being cut is one of the reasons it's used for the apple chips.

I've always called this a "Nova Scotia Apple" because it's not one that I have come across before living here, but it's been bumped down in status to an East Coast Apple, as I found out that they are widely grown and were originally developed in New York State in 1915.  Cortlands are well-suited to the Nova Scotia climate, and are a very popular apple, likely due to their versatility.  They are great for fresh eating as well as baking (though there is a debate online over the "best" apple for pies), and their generally large size makes for quick peeling and slicing.  Definitely the top apple for anti-browning qualities when cut, which makes it excellent in salads, coleslaws, and fruit plates.



No comments:

Post a Comment