Saturday, September 27, 2014

Quest for a 1-lb Honeycrisp!

I must admit, I am annoyed by the Honeycrisp apple and it's popularity.  Until it is available, I feel stuck on repeat: "No, the Honeycrisp are not ready yet".  Then, once they are, all the other apples must feel jealous, as it seems to be everyone's favourite.

The next day we found a 0.91 apple...  The quest for the largest Honeycrisp that we have at market (I realize I could "cheat" and look in the warehouse for a REALLY big one)
By no scientific measure at all, I would say 8/10 people say it is their favourite when I am helping them select an apple.  But what about the Cox Orange, and Gravenstein, and Zestar, and Ribson, and Paula Red??-- all excellent apples in their own right, too.  I am particularly excited when someone (most typically with a British accent) exclaims over finding a Cox Orange, or when I can recommend a Zestar which Chantal and I have found to be excellent, or when someone comes looking specifically for a Gravenstein to make an excellent pie, or even better yet: when someone tells me the qualities that they value in a "good apple" and is willing to chat about different apples and try some samples so I can introduce them to something they've never tried before.  It's a bit like selecting a fine wine-- everyone's palate and purpose is different.  Noggins grows over 40 different varieties of apples, and so it would seem that there is a perfect apple for nearly every person...  So, I won't fault you for loving Honeycrisp, but I encourage everyone to broaden their horizons and try something new while all the apples are coming off the trees this fall!

Hammonds Plains Market is still at the temporary location at the Cornerstone Wesleyan building at 1215 Hammonds Plains Road-- We will let everyone know once we are able to move back to St. John's in November.  Here's a photo from last week's market-- We have a full selection of greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onions, potatoes, 6 varieties of apples, peaches, plums, blueberries, raspberries, corn, brussels sprouts, squash, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, salad mix, etc etc etc.  September is the most abundant time of year, so come by and stock up this Thursday between 2:30 - 6:30!

No comments:

Post a Comment